Regional

Certification upgrade for 128 basic school teachers

Monday, April 24, 2017    

Print this page Email A Friend!


May Pen, Clarendon — One hundred and twenty-eight early childhood practitioners from Clarendon and Manchester recently completed a year-long teacher certification course through the Advancing Childhood Education Programme (ACEP).

The programme, which is in its fourth year, is funded by the Noble Foundation through bauxite/alumina company Jamalco and is administered by The Mico University College in partnership with the Early Childhood Commission and the United Way of Jamaica.

The Noble Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the Noble Resources Group, which owns 55 per cent of Jamalco. The government accounts for the remaining 45 per cent through Clarendon Alumina Partners (CAP).

Keynote speaker at the graduation ceremony Dr Rebecca Tortello, education specialist at UNICEF, lauded the ACEP programme for positively impacting educators and students.


Jamalco’s General Counsel Sonia Mitchell, who brought greetings on behalf of CEO Antonio Melo, reiterated the company’s support for education.

“As a company, we are committed to raising the standard of education among schools within our operating areas,” she said.

Valedictorian Garrsha Williams-Smith thanked the facilitators for “refusing to leave us without making a mark on us”.

She charged her fellow graduates to use their certification as a stepping stone for further academic success.

Participating students, including four men, were trained in groups located in Kellits, Foga Road in Clarendon and Mile Gully in Manchester.

 

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you support the Government's move to shorten the time needed to access money held in dormant bank accounts?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

ADVERTISEMENT